Friday, May 22, 2009

A Great Big Shove into Parenthood

I will preface this by saying we are all doing well after our excitement this week, Liv even went and had her one month pictures taken yesterday. All is well and we are so blessed, prayers are truly answered. Well we have the easiest little girl, she does not cry, she sleeps so well, and she only poops once a week (sounds weird but the doctor said this is normal for her). On Tuesday we had an adventure, I guess you could say that. This sounds terrible but Liv was exactly four weeks old and it was the first time I was making dinner for Jon and I, what can I say, we have a lot of family really close by. Dinner was ready, Jon was home and Liv was sleeping. We went to go lay her down, and she spit it, a bit more than normal but no big deal. Minutes later she did it again, and within minutes of that the spit up had changed to a bright yellow and shortly later a bright green. I knew this was not normal, so we called our on call nurse after hours. She listened to us and then listened to Liv, she thought Liv had aspirated some spit-up so she told us to call 911, WHAT? The breathing was not my concern, Liv is always wheezy when she sleeps. So instead we headed down to the ER. When they started examining her they knew right off the bat that she was dehydrated, her resting heart rate was 180 and her skin was blotchy. I forgot to mention that during the day Liv had four or five really runny diapers, which is not normal for my once a week pooping sweetie! So they started running all sorts of labs, poking and prodding her and using catheters to extract some urine. What was wrong with her? They then inserted an IV, into her head because I guess there are less nerves in the head causing less pain, who knows? They started pumping fluids into her little body and we waited. They were not quite sure what was going on, but the hospital we went to does not have a pediatrics so we had to be transferred, via ambulance (this was policy, not emergency). When we arrived at the other hospital, more x-rays were ran and some x-ray where she had to drink barium and they followed the liquid through her stomach to make sure there were no knots in her intestines. Those came back clear, and we still had no idea what was going on. She had no fever, she had not eaten in about fourteen hours, and she was not hungry, not normal. Finally they took us from the ER to her room, where they told us she had a stomach virus. The doctors still had to hook her up to heart-monitors and the rest of the "works" were just to make sure, she was safe, all the while still being hooked up to an IV for fluids. This was all before 4am. The next morning she still had not eaten, but by late morning she was ready. She ate a little and kept it down. The nurses and doctors were checking on her all day, she ate two more time, was off the IV and was ready to go home by 5pm. So how did this four week old get a stomach virus, I had not been around anyone with the flu. The doctors said it was really going around, in fact last night we saw on the news that it is so bad( the virus) schools in northern Idaho and eastern Washington were closing down. The poor thing, she had a rough night, she is way to little to be that sick. Needless to say Jon and I had one great big shove into parenthood.
This last picture is one of Liv's one month old pictures, taken just 17 hours after coming home from the hospital, she is so beautiful and so peaceful. We love her so much, and can't wait to see her grow.

10 comments:

Catherine and Derrick said...

Oh poor baby I am so sorry to hear that she was so sick. i am glad she is feeling better. That must have been so scary. But what a trooper. She is a beuatiful baby even with all of the IV's hooked up to her and being so sick she looks beautiful. Glad to hear you guys are doing better.

Erin Anderson said...

Oh my goodness! I am sorry to hear you guys had to go through all that! I cannot even imagine how hard it would have been! Her little one month old pictures looks so precious! She is absolutely beautiful!

Gail B said...

geesh. I can't believe all that just happened. Im sorry for you guys. She is a super cutey by the way. I hope that nothing like that ever happens again. We love you guys and miss you.

The Olligschlager Family said...

I am glad that everything turned out well for you all. My heart just broke when I saw those pictures. I love the last one though all safe and sound.

The Crebs Family said...

How sad, and scary. Glad things are okay, and she looks so adorable! I remember when Ava was little and she just had a cold, and I understood so much better how much our Heavenly Father loves us. I would have done anything to take her sickness away and be the one to be sick and it was just a silly cold. I can't imagine how you felt, but at least it is over! Feww!

Jimmy, Diane and Bentley said...

Ronae, I'm so sorry you had to go through that! I'm so glad she is doing better though. When Bentley went through all of his crap with the spitting up blood, it was so hard. :( They are little troopers though!

Henderson Family said...

OH that is soooooo sad!!! Poor little thing. I'm sorry you had to see your little baby hooked up to all that stuff. That is scary, but I'm so glad that everything turned out okay. Liv looks like a tough little girl. I love that beautiful picture of her at the end of your post. She is so adorable. Love you guys.

Caskey Crew said...

How scary Ronae! I'm sorry you had to go through that. It seems like it was a long process! I'm glad everything is ok and you took care of things early! She is such a cutie. I'm lovin those cheeks in her cute one month picture!

Natalie said...

I am so glad everything is ok, how scary!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, are you guys okay? I can't even imagine how scared you must have been.